Creepage distance is a very importante parameter of insulator, in this article we will let you know what is creepage distance, and teach you how to measure it.
Creepage distance is an important technical parameter for the insulator, it can influence the performance of the insulator in the working.
So what is creepage distance? How to measure the creepage distance?
What is creepage distance?
Creepage distance is the shortest path between two conductive parts or between a conductive part and the bounding surface of the equipment measure along the surface of the insulator. A proper and adequate creepage distance protects against tracking.
How to measure creepage distance?
When we measure the creepage distance we use calipers, feeler, plug gauge to help measure.
There also some provisions when measure the creepage distance.
1. If the width of the trench ≤1mm we cross the trench directly and measure.
2. If the width of trench≥1mm, you should along the edge of the trench measure.
3. If there is Protruding surface for the insulator then you should measure the creepage distance along the edge.
For the insulator creepage measure, we always use a rope along the surface of the insulator, from conductive parts to another conductive parts then measure the length of the rope.
However creepage distance also influenced by following factors:
• Humidity in the atmosphere.
• Presence of contamination.
• Corrosive chemicals.
• Altitude at which equipment is to be operated.